Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Waiter's Life

So many non-verbal communications are used in a waiter's life. The most common of all is the hand raising of a customer. And everyone is different and we must be able to catch them and understand them. This is particularly important when the customer do not speak the language you are fluent in. Or if the waiter does not speak the customer's language.

REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE!!
I recently started working at Sushi Tei at Tropicana City and it has been really fun. There are so many forms of non-verbal language used.

HAND RAISING/WAVING - I want to order

HAND CURVED IN A SIGNING POSITION AND CIRCLING - Bill please!

THUMB POINTING INTO CUP - Refill my tea please

TWO FINGERS KNOCKING ON TABLE - Thanks for the refill

WAVE LEFT AND RIGHT - No please

OPEN HAND FINGERS POINTING AT EMPTY PLATE - Yes please clear this for me

And for the waiter

OPEN HAND FINGERS POINTING AT EMPTY PLATE - May I clear this for you?

OPEN HAND FINGERS POINTING AT CUP - May I refill tea for you?

WELCOMING GESTURE - Welcome to our Restaurant, this way to your table

My experience in Sushi Tei is priceless. So many forms of communication are being used around the table. Expression of feelings, business talk, romance and so much more!! It's one of the best times for me since I'm also doing Human Communication now. I would be able to relate what i learn more effectively.

Signing out
MARCUS LIM WUI CHUEN

No comments:

Post a Comment